Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Establishing a Newborn Wardrobe




As an expectant new mom, you think you need EVERYTHING for your baby.  I was beyond guilty of this and to be honest, I still am.  I think it comes from the innate desire to provide for your child combined with the millennial thinking that "stuff" makes a person happy, and we want our babies to be happy. Happiness does not come from material possessions, but that's a post for another day.  Babies have to be clothed, so we might as well have fun doing it!
Baby outfits are by far the most fun thing to shop for in life.  Everything is so adorable, and fit doesn't matter since all they do is lay around.  It can be easy to go overboard buying baby clothes.  Knowing what I know after being a mom for 5 months, I have passed the newborn phase and I have compiled a list of clothing items needed for a newborn wardrobe. This is not one of those bare bones lists that includes only essentials, but a good solid list that leaves you with a few options to choose from when picking out your little one's daily outfit, and gives you time between washes so that you don't have to wash clothes every 3 days (even though you probably will be anyway). I will say that Addison only wore the newborn size for 3 weeks, so stocking up of 0-3 and 3-6 month sizes is a better idea if you are on a budget.
  • 5 Infant Gowns: I like these because they have the built in hand mitts to keep baby from scratching herself. Gowns are the best for the early days because trying to unbutton the buttons on a screaming baby's pajamas in the middle of the night is a huge pain.
  • 3 Footed Pajamas: These are my favorite because they zip up.  No buttons! 
  • 5 One-piece complete outfits: These are easy to put on and don't require a lot of fuss when changing a diaper, but don't look like pajamas when you are getting out of the house. I love this one and this one, and I linked a few other options below.
  • 3 "Going Out" Outfits: These are those super cute outfits that include the matching socks, bows, bibs, etc. for when you take baby out to see family and friends. Gap and Gymboree have adorable outfits with all the matching accessories.
  • Bibs: Addison has always been an expert at spitting up, so bibs have always been a part of her outfit.  I would say at least 2 per day if you have a baby who spits up a lot or has reflux, or for a teether, because the amount of drool is unreal!  These Aden and Anais ones are my favorite.
  • Socks: a few good packs of solid color socks will do the trick.  These are my favorite because they stay on baby's feet and last from 0-6 months.
And that's about all they need as far as wardrobe goes! I never used hand mitts or hats on Addison because she never needed them, but if you live somewhere cold or if your little one is a scratcher you may want some of those too.  Thanks for reading!

xoxo,
Kaitlin
Proverbs 22:6

No comments:

Post a Comment