Tuesday, October 4, 2016

"Americanized" Chicken Enchiladas

As you probable know, I live in a picky eater household.  My husband and I both eat like 5 year old children so finding recipes that we both enjoy is always a challenge.  One of my tried and true dinner meals that has become one of our favorites is Chicken Enchiladas...Americanized with BBQ Chicken!  It is seriously so yummy and I find myself making it whenever we get a craving for Mexican!

To start off this delicious meal, I begin by making shredded BBQ chicken in the crockpot.  It'a a very versatile dish and the chicken can be used on sandwiches, in quesadillas, or just by itself.  It is sooooo yummy and easy to make.


What you need for the chicken:
  • 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 6 oz (half a bottle) of BBQ sauce
  • 1/4 cup Zesty Italian Dressing
  • 1/8 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce 


I prepare the chicken and add all of these ingredients in the crockpot the night before I want to make it because I am NOT a morning person! If I get it all prepared ahead of time, all I have to do is turn on the crockpot in the morning and be on my way.  I cook the chicken on low for 6 hours. My crockpot has a nifty setting where I can program a heat setting and set a timer and when the time is up, the crockpot automatically switches to the warm setting to keep it warm! When I get home from work, it's all done and I am ready to assemble the enchiladas!

This super cute "house divided" apron was a wedding gift from my Aunt Rachel!

What you need for the enchiladas:
  •  tortillas (I use about 6)
  • 8oz sour cream
  • 1 can of cream of chicken soup
  • 1 bag of Mexican blend shredded cheese
When it comes time to put the Enchiladas together, I first start off by using two forks and shredding the chicken in the crockpot.  You can also use a hand mixer to make this process a lot faster, but every time I try to do it this way I end up cleaning BBQ sauce and chicken off the walls! I let it sit and soak up the sauce while I prepare everything else.  On the stove, I heat up a mixture of the 8 oz sour cream and the can of cream of chicken soup on medium/low heat (it just needs to be warm and mixed together completely).  Be careful because as it starts to heat up, it will bubble and start popping and making a big mess.  Make sure you stir it often to avoid this!  I warm up the tortillas in a pan and place a helping of chicken and a pinch of shredded cheese in each one, rolling them into a burrito.  I place my 6 burritos in a casserole dish and pour the sour cream and cream of chicken soup mixture over the top of them.  I pour the remainder of the bag of Mexican cheese over the top and bake it in the oven at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted and starts to brown.  Place a burrito (or two!) on your plate and you are all set! Bon Appetit!

This is one of our favorites and I hope you love it as much as we do!  Remember, you can always add a can of Rotel or salsa in with the enchilada sauce if you wish or add jalapeños for a kick!  The options are endless, but simple is what we like best!  Do you have any recipes that I should try? Post them in the comments!!




No comments:

Post a Comment